Working Hard for Families and Children
As a father to two daughters, I understand that raising a family is the hardest job in the world; especially when faced with daunting education bills and the prospect that your child may not be able to afford to purchase a home in the neighbourhood of her/his choice. That’s why I am working toward creating real change for Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam families.
Since being your Member of Parliament, our government has invested millions of dollars in our community to empower our youth and families with smart investments, including:
- $6.1 million of tax-free payments per month to families in Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam, through the Canada Child Benefit (CCB).
- $2.7 million investment in S.U.C.C.E.S.S Foundation’s Chance to Choose program, which helps vulnerable youth overcome barriers to employment (July 2017).
- Over $720,000 in local businesses and organizations to create 152 summer jobs for students through the 2018 Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program.
- Over $545,000 in local businesses and organizations to create 136 summer jobs for students through the 2017 Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program.
- Over $489,000 in local businesses and organizations to create 132 summer jobs for students through the 2016 Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program.
As your Member of Parliament I make youth and families a priority:
- In March 2018, my Constituency Youth Council (CYC) Skyped with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, to chat about everything from affordable education to unions.
- I regularly consult with the CYC and visit local elementary and high schools to learn about the issues that impact youth.
- In May 2018, I was honoured to receive the Adult Mentor R.E.A.C.H. Award from PoCo Youth Services.
- In February 2018, I chatted with students from Douglas College to discuss new, game changing student loan measures. Making post-secondary education more affordable for Canadians is one way we are growing our middle class and strengthening our economy.